Sunday 29 August 2010

Let there be bread

In my quest to live within my means in Sweden, I tried making my first batch of bread in the country.

At the shop I was surprised to see that a smallish loaf of bread costs between 20-30 kr (€2.00-3.00) and they don't have the bread that I like, which is nice and dark.
I tried to make it twisted, but the baking forms
cooked it into nice rectangles. Oh well. Its still bread.

So I bought a 2 kg pack of flour and Vik and I have been going nuts with it. We finished the packet  off with the bread, but we also made two apple cakes with apples from the neighbour's tree.

Yeast (or jäst in Swedish) is pretty cheap at 1.50 kr for 50 g and flour is cheap too at 7.89 kr for 2 kg. Add a bit of water, sugar and salt and you have four loaves of bread, which will last two or three days each for one person.

Each loaf then costs roughly 2 kr or €0.20. Plus it tastes good and its sort of fun. Torsten, my landlord has a mixing machine with an attachment that kneads the dough, so its really quick and easy to make it too.

The only thing missing that would make me really happy is dark, coarse flour, which is better for you than the super fine white flour. If I can manage that, I'll be laughing.

1 comment:

  1. Like it. I can easily see this blog developing into the bestseller "How to Live in Sweden on a dollar a day"

    ReplyDelete