Wednesday 18 August 2010

Trading places

Since early 2006 I have been on the road more or less constantly, always looking for a new direction or a new way to enjoy the place where I'm at. There was always one rule though: the new place is going to be exiting and better.

Leaving Lithuania after three years living there for yet another new start actually daunted me for the first time. Even though I lived the life of a pauper in Vilnius with a terrible flat filled with appliances that didn't work and a landlord that was such an asshole that he wouldn't fix the lock on the front door, I had sort of settled in there.

Things were familiar and I had my circle of friends and acquaintances. I had also achieved some sort of standing in the local media industry, a very important thing to have in a place like Lithuania where knowing someone is the difference between success and failure.

So when I got on the plane to Sweden I was actually a little anxious for the first time since I started travelling in Europe four years ago. I was wondering whether I'd cope with money given that I would still be writing for Alfa.lt with Lithuanian wages in a Swedish-priced world. I was also anxious about whether Vik would come over and be able to find a job quickly given that Europe is still struggling out of recession.

Denmark

Arriving in Copenhagen was a mixed bag of experiences for me. First of all, people were actually smiling. Its something I had seen rarely in Lithuania, a country so obsessed by its own misery that smiling seems like it must be illegal or something. There was also the excessively well-organised aspect of Denmark that hit me. It was as if I didn't need to struggle to live anymore. I didn't get a sore back riding the bus or have to wait in line only to be yelled at for something I didn't do. Electronic goods were not made 30 years ago. Everything was working with clockwork precision.

Keep in mind though that this sort of level of efficiency comes at a cost. This was a major shock coming from Lithuania. One bus ride in Copenhagen costs more than what it costs to eat for a day in Vilnius. Coffees in Denmark's capital are five times the price of those in Lithuania's, which are already unaffordable for most people there. The new price scheme compared to my bank balance was quite a shock.

After spending a few hours in Copenhagen I made my way to Sweden using the train that goes over the massive bridge to Malmö. It didn't take long to get all the way to the next country and suddenly it was a new language again. Good thing I only picked up a few words of Danish.

Sweden

I arrived in Sweden and went to my new house. It is a clean room and I have my own bathroom next door with an enormous bath I will probably never use. I am living on the top floor of a house owned by a retired doctor who likes sailing a lot. He seems to be a really nice guy who has devoted his life to high education and a functional society.

The town I'm living in is called Lomma (see map) and is something like Palanga in Lithuania. It is the seaside resort town of Skåne, the south-western region of Sweden. There isn't much going on when its raining (as it has been for the last few days), but I'm hoping that there will be at least another hot day or two when I could go for a swim at the beach.


I also made a quick trip to Lund, the city where I will be studying. It is very picturesque and is full of vibrant student life. The feeling is tangible (and I don't mean that like shitty travel journalists bandy the term 'tangible' about. I actually mean this place was vibrant. No really). In fact, after my initial anxiety from the move wore off, the excited feeling for whats up ahead came back to me in bucket-loads.

After a day of worry, I'm ready for what the future holds. I've turned the page and this is the next phase of my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment