Tuesday 2 November 2010

Marabou nightmares!

I was shocked the other day when I went to Netto that Marabou chocolates were selling for 22 kr per 200g. Given that at the expensive supermarkets in Sweden (like ICA and Coop) the same product can sell for 15 kr, I was shocked. After all, Netto is supposed to be the cheap one.

I went back to Netto the next day to get some milk and while waiting in line (which conveniently runs past the chocolate and sweets sections) I noticed that the prices of Marabou had gone down to 16 kr. It isn't unusual for supermarkets to change their prices, but usually they put a special sticker on it.

I had a think about it and realised that on Sunday (when people are lazing about at home watching movies) the chocolate cost 6 kr more. On Monday (when people are off to work and get their free fika elsewhere) the prices had gone down.

So the hypothesis: Does Netto jack up the prices every weekend? Do they do it by some other method?

I will be observing the prices every time I go there and as soon as I notice a pattern, I'll let you know. As far as I can tell at this point, it is smarter to buy your sweets on a Monday than a Sunday.

Watch this space.

P.S. Frozen chicken at ICA is also cheaper than Netto.

1 comment:

  1. Possibly they are doing a well known retail trick where they jack up the prices in one or two stores for a week and then when they reduce them again they can advertise them as reduced in price in all their stores.
    Not sure exactly what the rules are in Sweden but this happens everywhere, the main constraints being how long the items have to remain on sale at the higher price and in how many stores they have to be marked as such.

    ReplyDelete