Sunday 12 September 2010

Party v 1.0

I went to my first party of the year in Lund on Saturday. Before you read the rest of the post, you should start playing the YouTube clip below... (you don't have to watch it, but its just for mood).



It was a dress up party called "Oops I just didn't do that" where we had to dress up as something that would never have happened to us. I went as a gay Ukranian sailor.

Other people put in a lot of effort and then there were people who just showed up without preparing anything, but its always fun to have a go and try something crazy or strange. My favourite outfit was worn by Holger from Germany who came out in a dress and wig. He was pregnant (with a t-shirt stuffed in his dress for the baby-bump) and was smoking and drinking. A nice image. He even gave birth to the clothing at 3 a.m. but it is yet to be named or baptized.

I'd estimate that more than 100 people turned up to the party over the night who filtered through the house. There were four areas where people were hanging out — upstairs, in the kitchen (I'm told its very Swedish to hang out in the kitchen), in the stairs and in the basement where the house mates had made a cool dance floor with improvised Rubik's cubes as decorations. There was also a home made mirror ball. People danced like crazy downstairs and generally had a good time.

Brandon from my course came along and brought some of his home brewed beer. Much stronger and nicer than the mid-strength shit available and affordable from the supermarket here. The Swedish government has one of the world's biggest monopolies on alcohol here. The national company, System Bolaget, is the only place where you can buy drinks with alcohol content over 3.5% of volume. It is expensive when you are on a student budget. For those at home, it is still cheaper than what you are paying, but the range is much smaller. The System Bolaget closes at 3 p.m. on Saturdays and I forgot it was like this, so I had to go for the crappy supermarket beer.

Almost all of the guests of the party were well behaved, a nice thing. Not too many people getting out of hand.

In the house I noticed that all the doors to the bedrooms had massive locks on them: I guess they are used to having parties where lots of strangers turn up. I hope there are more this year because it was pretty awesome...

OK, the song should be finishing by about now...

No comments:

Post a Comment