Friday 3 September 2010

Young people are strange

The next generation is taking over and the rest of us are getting older.

I realised today at the bus stop in Lund that I am indeed getting old and that my youth is behind me.

I saw a young couple, maybe 15 years old or so, standing at the bus stop. The girl was quite overweight, had a short haircut and was (as usual for Swedish youth) wearing way too much make up. The boy looked like he had just discovered hair gel and was going nuts with it, setting strands in every direction conceivable. He was inflicted with some serious acne and had braces on his teeth too.

So what happened was that they were hugging and then they went to have a french kiss. Just as they kissed, the boy turned on a Michael Jackson song to accompany the moment. I can't remember what song it was, but they probably thought this was a great way to validate the moment and indeed remind them that it was real.

After all, only things that are recorded or accompanied by digital media really happen. Every time someone kisses on the television there is musical accompaniment. By this logic, if they didn't have the music blaring out of the external speaker on their mobile phone, they might as well have not kissed.

What will the world look like when they are in power?

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like the type of melodrama I don't want to be associated with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer the old fashioned method of being followed around all day by a mariachi band playing my theme music.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :D a good post. I had a decent laugh...

    ReplyDelete