Sunday 3 October 2010

Bubbling beer

Beer is bubbling in my closet. My first brew is working and I hope to be bottling it soon. Not long from now you will realise why I am eager to do that...watch this space...

I have had to put a heater on the opposite side of the door from the beer because it is very chilly inside the house. The thermometer shows just above 11 degrees in the top story. Anton, my housemate seems to think that its the hole in the roof that is letting all the heat out. A plausible theory.

Like most things in this house where I live, the roof is broken and has been for quite some time as I understand it. A storm blew some of the tiles along the join of the roof off and now whats underneath (don't know what thats called) is exposed.

The beer should be kept between 21-27 degrees to ensure that the yeast works in 4-7 days and produces beer. A stopped fermentation (ie the beer is cactus) can be expected at less than 18 degrees. Yeast is a very fussy micro-organism isn't it...?

Torsten the landlord seems to think we are a bit crazy for wanting to put the heating on at this temperature inside. I should point out that the temperature outside was also about 10 or 11 degrees when we measured it and that it is much warmer downstairs where he lives.

If the yeast makes it alive and continues to ferment properly, I'll be surprised, but lets keep our fingers crossed...

No comments:

Post a Comment