Tuesday 19 October 2010

I am brewer: hear me roar!

My beer is now in bottles. As you can see from the photo (which looks like it was taken years ago) I found 75 Carlsberg bottles. Eventually all the labels will fall off and I will have my own branded beer, but for now, let it be as it is.

It took a good while to clean the bottles because I got them from the glass bin at Vastgota nation. I wanted to be sure that they were clean, so I rinsed them, then soaked them in hot soapy water, then rinsed the soap out (twice) then let them soak with sanitizer for two hours inside them, then I rinsed them again. I have clean bottles for sure, but it did take me some three hours. Next time I will know whose lips have been on them, so I won't have to work so hard again.

Following the sanitizing, I added around 2.5 grams of sugar to each bottle before siphoning the beer in. The sugar gives the yeast something to do and it creates bubbles. This process is called carbonation and gives the beer the fizz that we all love and adore.

At a minimum I've read you can leave the beer for 10 days, but I will leave it for double that to make sure I have a crystal clear beer with softened bubbles. At first the bubbles are quite large and crude, but over time they become smaller as the bottle conditions. Amazing stuff.

Come early November, I'll be crackin' frothies left, right and centre!

3 comments:

  1. suggestion: change the maize to 3 different grains
    add just a tiny bit of yeast before bottling....and you will have the next nearest thing a tripel. ;p

    -Lesbo

    ReplyDelete
  2. One step at a time :)
    One day there will be a ninth trappist beer monastery

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a stroke of genius to put the beer into Carlsberg bottles.
    Even if someone discovers your stash, they will be so disgusted to see it is crappy Carlsberg ("Probably the blandest beer in the world") that they will leave it alone.
    Looking forward to reading the results... cheers!

    ReplyDelete